Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Passing the Baton

At the recent Special Town Meeting, I had the opportunity to make some remarks regarding the School Department's supplemental budget request.  As some have asked me about them, I am posting a written version of them here.  You may also view a recording of my remarks at this link (starting at the 69 minute mark).
...
As your superintendent and as a resident, I feel so fortunate to be part of this community.  In fact, I'm wearing my Shrewsbury blue and gold tie this evening as a demonstration of my pride.

This is my 17th year as a resident and school leader.  The benefit of having been here that long is having the opportunity to see students grow and blossom into successful young women and men.  My heart fills with pride when I see our young people graduate and go on to success in college, the military, and the workplace.

Recently, I received four separate unsolicited communications from former students or their parents, and I'd like to share them with you:

• The first is from an SHS alumna who is graduating from college this year.  In an email, she wrote: "...The school system allowed me to develop into the person I am today and gave me the opportunity to attend (my college).  My decision to become a teacher was greatly influenced by the many wonderful teachers and positive experiences I had during my years in the Shrewsbury Public Schools.  I would love to give back to the community that has given me so much."

• The second was from the parent of an SHS alumnus who is graduating from Carnegie Mellon University this year, where he received the top award in physics.  In an email, his mother wrote: "He will be going on to the University of Chicago for graduate school (where) he will get his degree in Computational Astrophysics....  He was extremely well served and inspired by so very many of his teachers, most notably (his physics teacher at SHS).  She told him about Carnegie Mellon, where she went to college herself, and I am sure her approach and kindness and humor and constant encouragement made (physics) friendly to him in the forming states.  He was also encouraged highly by several other teachers during his time in Shrewsbury Schools, for certain."

• The third was from the parent of an SHS graduate who enlisted in the Marine Corps.  She wrote that he recently graduated from Communications School second in his class, and he received an additional Merit Award for his conduct.  The parent wrote that he was one of many successful students from his SHS class, and she thanked the Shrewsbury schools for preparing him well for his success as a United States Marine.

• The fourth was from a former student of mine at Floral Street School, from the time when I was the assistant principal there.  If they gave frequent flyer miles for trips to the principal's office, this student could have flown around the world for free - twice.  He has been working as an investment banker and now for a venture capital firm in Silicon Valley, so now he can fly around the world on his credit card.  He wrote to me: "I wanted to thank you and the larger school community for providing the guidance and influence that helped form the person I am today....I'm sure (the community) could use a reminder that what (teachers) do is very meaningful to the students.  While the kids may not appreciate it at the time, many of us certainly do later in life."

These are communications that make me incredibly proud as your superintendent.

This community helped make these students' successes possible.  We should all be proud. All of us had a hand in their success.

But, my concern right now is whether our students right now are missing out on what these four students received, an education where their teachers had the time to make a meaningful, motivating connection with these students and the tools to ensure their academic skills were excellent.

I have here a relay baton that I borrowed from the SHS gym.  Many of you know that when a runner or a swimmer competes on a relay team, they typically outperform their times when they run or swim in an individual event.  This is because of their commitment to their team -- their strong desire not to let their teammates down -- compels them to perform at their best.

Every time Town Meeting convenes, every time a new cohort of students enters our schools, our community renews its commitment to the well being of its youth.  Every year, we pass the baton. In recent years, I think we've bobbled that baton a bit, and as a result we've fallen a few steps behind where we should be.  I believe that the allocation that you will vote on this evening will help us catch up.  I'd like to make that a clean hand off for the benefit of our students.  

I believe that we honor previous generations by continuing the high quality of life that has been handed down to us in this community.  I think we honor ourselves by ensuring that the next generation is given the same opportunity to succeed.